Saturday, November 26, 2011

Days are dwindling down

Only 2 days left in Darjeeling.  The instrument is up and running and stable!  It's so rewarding seeing the data coming in and finally feeling like all of the hard work over the past couple of years is paying off.  The only remaining things to do are to watch for any problems (so far so good) and to train the local technician on how to watch it while I'm away.  The power problems are still there but we have a solution in place for the next two months.  At that time, I'll be coming back to install my second detector and will hopefully have long-term supports on my power lines, etc.  Working in such a remote place is hard...It makes you really realize after living in the US, and in a city for that matter, that power doesn't grow on trees.  Without proper maintenance and infrastructure (and money), it can be quite unstable.  Oh and I also just found out that one of my spare gas cylinders is leaking out of it's valve.  The work never ends and it sometimes drives me crazy that small things (like the gas valve) cause such a big headache!  That said, I'm really proud of how far it's all come and thankful for all of the help and advice people have given me over the last year that allowed me to prepare in advance for many of the issues I've dealt with.  

Rays shining down on the Bose Institute.

Laura's work spot on a (finally) warm day. 
Mountains on a not so warm day.

Darjeeling at sunset.

Checking the inlet tube.



1 comment:

  1. A very comprehensive Post about Darjeeling indeed covering topic as diverse as sightseeing attractions with nice pics.

    ReplyDelete